Proxmox control panel vps access
When you get a VPS with xotHost.com you have access to a VPS Control Panel. A user is created for you (usually the first part of your email address). You have many ways to interact with your VPS from there.
Control Panel features
With your Proxmox Control panel you can do the following:
- Start the VPS
- Restart the VPS
- Shutdown the VPS
- Stop the VPS
- Send special keys (such as Ctrl-Alt-Del)
Accessing your Control Panel
- On your welcome email you will receive from our technical team the URL with access to your control panel. Open it with your favorite browser.
- Login with your Control Panel user and password provided on your welcome email.
- Be sure to select "Proxmox VE authentication server" on the "Realm" field.
Changing your Control Panel password
The first thing you must do when getting your VPS is to change all your passwords!
- To change your Proxmox Control Panel password:
- Click on the "Datacenter" folder on the top left.
- Click on the "Users" tab
- Click on the "Password" option.
- Change the password from the pop-up window.
- Select "OK"
Controlling your VM
- After you login, you will be able to see all the information of your account and your VMs.
- Under the "Datacenter" folder, click on the icon showing the VPS node. You will see all your VPSs, general information and usage graphs.
- To control your VPS, right-click on the desired VM and select the required option from the pop-up menu:
- To open a secure VNC console, click on the "Console" option. A new window will open with your VPS console and some options on the top.
- Note that the latest Java version from Oracle is required to use this console.
When to use VNC and when to use SSH
- VNC console should be used when required for:
- Shutting down a VPS
- Starting a VPS
- Executing a hard reset
- Reinstalling the operating system (for this you also have to open a support ticket specifying the ISO to be used for the reinstall)
- Accessing your VPS when network access is lost or when making changes on the network configuration.
- In all other cases, SSH access is preferred since it is faster and more convenient than VNC.